Don’t miss GreenFest at the Detroit Zoo on Saturday, April 14 ∙ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.!
A pre-Earth Day celebration featuring a sustainability tour and environmental education. The first 1,000 guests to visit the anaerobic digester education display will receive a token for a 5-gallon bucket, courtesy of The Home Depot Foundation. The bucket will be filled with free Detroit Zoo Poo, an herbivore compost produced by the Detroit Zoological Society’s (DZS’s) anaerobic digester and processed in partnership with Detroit Dirt.
The sustainability tour features the anaerobic digester — the first in Michigan and the only zoo-based system in the country — and other DZS sustainability efforts. These include the decision to no longer sell bottled water at the Detroit Zoo, diverting 60,000 plastic bottles from the waste stream annually, and using permeable pavement in visitor pathways and a parking lot. The tour also includes information about the DZS’s cricket-breeding program, rain gardens, solar energy system and other green efforts.
In addition, you can also explore farm-to-table food options, expand your science knowledge during chemistry demonstrations, hear zookeeper talks and make window decals to prevent bird strikes.
GreenFest is an initiative of the Detroit Zoological Society’s Greenprint, a comprehensive strategic plan to refine and improve facilities and daily practices, develop new policies and programs and improve green literacy in the community.
The Benefits of Being a Detroit Zoological Society Member
Membership has its privileges. A Detroit Zoological Society membership provides a year’s supply of Vitamin Z with free daytime admission and parking to the Detroit Zoo, discounts at Zoo gift shops and many other benefits.
- Prices range from $63 to $200.
- Residents of Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties receive $10 off all categories and can purchase up to four gift memberships at the discounted rate.
Reasons to Become a Member
Unlimited Admission for One Year
- That includes parking during daytime public hours, including for Wild Summer Nights concerts. Visit twice and a membership typically pays for itself.
- As a Member, you no longer feel you have to experience the entire Zoo in one day — you can stay and see as little or as much as you want. Visit the Zoo at your leisure, and pace your visit based on you and your children’s ability, mood, the weather or your schedule. The Zoo is open year-round.
- Along with free admission, Members park at no charge for a daytime visit.
Zoo Member Entrance
- You can use the exclusive Member’s-only Rackham Fountain Entrance located at the west end of the large 10 Mile Road parking lot. Check in at the Rackham Fountain Entrance, go through the underpass and enter the Zoo just west of the Ford Education Center near the fountain. It’s a wonderful convenience that saves you time and energy.
Great Learning Resource
- The Zoo is a learning experience for everyone. Each visit allows both children and adults to learn and see something new. From science to conservation and even map-reading skills, there is much to be gained from each trip to the Zoo.
- 10% off regular-priced merchandise at gift shops and stands
- Discounts on classes (this varies)
- With your Detroit Zoological Society membership, you will receive a discount to zoos and aquariums all across the United States — go to detroitzoo.org/memberbenefits for a complete list
Advance Ticket Sales
- The Detroit Zoo offers a lot of fun and special events throughout the year. Many of the events sell out quickly. As a Member, you will have an opportunity to purchase tickets before they go on sale to the public. This is a great perk when you are looking to attend Zoo Boo or Wild Lights on a peak day. Some other events include Zoo Brew, Wild Beasts Wild Wine and Polar Beers (note, membership does not include special events admission and parking).
- All Members receive Habitat, the Detroit Zoological Society Member magazine, and Zmail, the monthly email newsletter. Both are full of wonderful information about the DZS, how it is making a difference both in the community and worldwide, upcoming events and more.
Give and Make a Difference
- By giving to the Detroit Zoological Society, you can make a real difference in Celebrating and Saving Wildlife. From large transformative gifts with outcomes like the Arctic Ring of Life and Cotton Family Wetlands to general support that helps us provide memorable experiences and rich education programs, gifts of all kinds are important to the current and future success of the Detroit Zoological Society.
- The Detroit Zoological Society offers many gift ideas that allow the giver to give twice — recipients will love their “zoonique” gifts and the proceeds from sales will help support the animals at the Detroit Zoo and Belle Isle Nature Center.
Do You Want More Zoo?
Looking forward to getting your yearly dose of Vitamin Z? Learn more by visiting the Zoo website HERE!